Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is true comfort food. I love this with some good bread. Make it with homemade broth if you can. Meat broth can be chicken, beef a combination or whatever type of meat you want. It probably would be good with vegetable broth too. I usually save chicken wings (since we usually don't eat them anyway)in a freezer bag until I need to make a stock. I also save uncooked bones and misc poultry and beef parts in the freezer for the same use. I then take out as much as I need and cook the stock the night before I intend to use it. This soup should be dense but soupy. Have extra broth on hand in case it gets too thick on you.
- 1 head escarole, cleaned and cut into bite size
- 59.16 ml butter
- 29.58 ml onions, chopped
- 828.06 ml meat broth
- 236.59 ml arborio rice
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- In a large soup pot melt butter over medium heat and add onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the escarole to the pot and a pinch of salt and stir to coat well with the onion and butter.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and cover, adjust the heat to bring the soup to a simmer.
- Let simmer 20 - 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is al dente.
- Add cheese and serve immediately.