Recipe by littleturtle
An Italian favorite. This soup is delicious and a meal in itself.
Top Review by ThinOne
Love this soup. Firstly, I replace the croutons with ground pork rinds to reduce the carbs even further and secondly, I put the meatballs in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes so I don't have to deal with the fry mess or the extra calories from adding oil to the skillet. Above all, this recipe is delicious. I love escarole.
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin or 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup garlic-flavored croutons, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups shredded escarole, rinsed & spun dry
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (to garnish)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients.
- Mix well with your hands, then shape into 24 walnut sized meatballs.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Saute the meatballs 12 at a time until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil and onion to the pot and saute until the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in the escarole and cook over low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until it wilts (3 minutes).
- Add the broth and meatballs and bring to a boil; then simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with the remaining cheese and the cayenne pepper for garnish.