Quick, from Scratch Italian. Food & Wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 1/2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 7 1/2 cups homemade stock
- 3/4 cup rice, preferably arborio
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 lb escarole, leaves washed and cut into 1/2-inch ribbons (1 small head)
- 1 1/3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 in all)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the carrot, onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the broth, rice, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- 3Add the escarole to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until the escarole is almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the chicken and pepper. Bring to a simmer and continue simmering for just 1 minute. The chicken should be done.
- 5Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the parsley and Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Escarole Soup With Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (800 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.3
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 1260.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 51.0 g