Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick, from Scratch Italian. Food & Wine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 1⁄2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 7 1⁄2 cups homemade stock
- 3⁄4 cup rice, preferably arborio
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 lb escarole, leaves washed and cut into 1/2-inch ribbons (1 small head)
- 1 1⁄3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 in all)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the carrot, onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, rice, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the escarole to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until the escarole is almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and pepper. Bring to a simmer and continue simmering for just 1 minute. The chicken should be done.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the parsley and Parmesan.