Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
The Italian combination of melon and prosciutto pair nicely in this first-course salad. This recipe was in our local newspaper.
- 4 slices prosciutto (thin and coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 cups torn escarole (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 2 cups torn radicchio (about 4 ounces)
- 2 cups cubed peeled cantaloupe
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degees.
- Arrange prosciutto in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degees for 6 minutes or until crisp.
- Combine shallots and next 5 ingredients (shallots through pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add escarole and radicchio, and toss to coat. Add honeydew and cantaloupe, and toss to combine. Place 2 cups salad on each of 6 plates, and top each serving with about 2 teaspoons prosciutto. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon almonds.