Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gourmet. November 2003.
- 2 navel oranges (1 lb total)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, stalks discarded and bulbs halved lengthwise (sometimes called anise, 1 3/4 lb total)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 heads escarole, dark outer leaves discarded and pale green and yellow inner leaves torn into bite-size pieces (2 lb total)
- Finely grate enough zest from 1 orange to measure 1 tablespoon. Cut peel, including all white pith, from both oranges with a paring knife.
- Cut segments free from membranes, then cut segments crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cut out and discard core of each fennel bulb, then cut bulbs crosswise into thin slices.
- Whisk together vinegar, zest, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until salt is dissolved, then add oil in a stream, whisking until combined well.
- Toss escarole, fennel, and oranges with dressing in a large bowl until combined well. Season with salt and pepper.