Escarole, Fennel, and Orange Salad
- Finely grate enough zest from 1 orange to measure 1 tablespoon. Cut peel, including all white pith, from both oranges with a paring knife.
- Cut segments free from membranes, then cut segments crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cut out and discard core of each fennel bulb, then cut bulbs crosswise into thin slices.
- Whisk together vinegar, zest, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until salt is dissolved, then add oil in a stream, whisking until combined well.
- Toss escarole, fennel, and oranges with dressing in a large bowl until combined well. Season with salt and pepper.