Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice salad that I served with boiled Maine lobster on Valentine's Day. Very tasty and sophisticated. Don't use the curly endive (chicory), as it's too bitter.
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb escarole, trimmed and cut into thin crosswise slices
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted & finely chopped
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together the mustard and the vinegar. Add the olive oil, whisking constantly until the mixture is emulsified. Add the shallot, garlic, salt & pepper and whisk once more.
- Add the greens, cheese, and the walnuts to the dressing and toss thoroughly. Serve right away.