Recipe by chiclet
This recipe came in the food supplement of my local paper. I modified it to make it more delicious. It's vegan if you leave out the fresh parm.
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic, divided (1-2 cloves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 lb escarole, trimmed
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked white beans (canned are ok)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put half the oil in a large pot and turn heat to medium. Add half the garlic and the the red pepper flakes. Stir occasionally until the garlic begins to color (About 2 min).
- Add escarole and stir.
- Add beans, stock, tomato, carrots, and celery.
- Adjust heat to bring to a steady simmer; Cover and cook about 15 min, until escarole is tender.
- Stir in the rest of the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and serve topped with fresh parm (if using).