Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A good filling soup. This is adapted from a recipe that was in Wegman's Menu magazine.
Make and share this Escarole and Bean Soup With Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage link
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 head escarole, washed and coarsly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 1⁄2 ounces cannellini beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Remove casing and cut each sausage link into 8 pieces; shape into balls.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large pot on MEDIUM. Add sausage balls and cook, turning to brown all sides, 3-4 minute
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Discard pan drippings.
- Return pan to heat; add remaining 2 Tbsp basting oil and onions.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 min, until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring until softened, about 1 minute
- Add escarole; cook, stirring occasionally, 1-2 min, until wilted.
- Stir in stock, beans, and browned sausage; heat to boiling on MEDIUM-HIGH.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minute
- Add pasta; simmer 10 minute
- Add parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This is delicious, easy, and healthy! If I'm short on escarole, I substitute some romaine lettuce. Yes, romaine! I sometimes skip the lemon juice and usually leave out the orzo. I do add a sprinkling of good grated romano cheese to each bowl. Serve with garlic bread! YUM! Perfect for a chilly fall or winter meal. Great for kids or company!