Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
To some, this will be "one of Zurie's crazy recipes". but really, this was totally gorgeous, if you are a snail/escargot fan!! It has to be eaten with some kind of delicious bread roll or French bread. I apologise for giving amounts for 2 persons only, but the recipe is easily doubled (2 cans of escargots!). Do start this meal with a pretty salad containing cheese such as camembert. It's my own recipe. Note that the ingredients are ordinary.
- 4 -6 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 5 -6 mushrooms, white, fat, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 7 ounces escargot (canned, undrained, 200g)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chervil, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped (or to taste, but use a lot)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- good pinch flaked sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Put the crème fraiche, finely chopped mushrooms and finely chopped small onion in a pot. Heat on high until it starts bubbling. Stir well, fairly often, and then turn heat down a little.
- Cook that about 10 minutes, when the onion should be soft, the mushrooms cooked, and the cream sauce reduced.
- In the meantime, open the can of escargots and rinse them in a sieve, and shake them to dry a little. You've also chopped the herbs.
- Now add the escargots, herbs, garlic, butter, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Stir through, and simmer for about 2 minutes until the escargots/snails are heated through.
- I like to serve this in individual ramekins, with a nice bread roll or French bread, or freshly made bread. And it can stand waiting in a warming oven.