Prep 25 mins
Cook 16 mins
Serve these as hot hor d'oeuvres. This is a two in one recipe - 18 stuffed mushrooms topped with an escargot and 18 pastries stuffed with mushroom mixture and escargot. I sometimes sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top of the escargot before baking.
- 1 (10 g) package dried porcini mushrooms
- 18 medium white button mushrooms (or cremini)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 0.5 (17 ounce) packagefrozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 (200 g) can snails, strained and washed (can size 36-50 snails)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Herb Butter:.
- With a fork, mash together butter, garlic, shallot, parsley, and chives.
- Add wine, salt and a generous pinch of pepper. Set aside.
- Soak porcini mushrooms in just enough warm water to cover until soft. Drain and chop finely, set aside.
- Trim off ends of fresh mushrooms and carefully remove stems. With a small spoon, hollow out caps, reserve stems and trimmings.
- Place caps on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, hollow side up.
- Mince stems and trimmings, place in bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Wrap in double layer of cheesecloth or paper towel and squeeze out liquid.
- Mix drained mushrooms with the porcini and set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry to 1/8 inch thickness, with a 2 inch round cutter, cut out 18 pastries.
- Place on baking sheet with mushroom caps.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, score a circle on the pastry, 1/8 inch in from the outside edge and cutting halfway through.
- Mound generous 1 tsp mushroom mixture within each inner circle of the pastry and top with 1/2 tsp herb butter; top with snail, pressing down lightly.
- Fill each mushroom cap with a generous 1/2 tsp herb butter, top each with a snail.
- Bake in 425F oven until pastry is golden and mushroom caps are tender - 16 - 18 minutes.
- Serve hot.