Recipe by Trinkets
When you are craving something with lots of butter and garlic and perhaps something a little out of the ordinary! Believe it or not, the kids all love this dish. This is the best recipe we have found to cook snails. It's from The Joy of Cooking. Use the snail butter in Snail Butter. Serve as an appetizer with plenty of hot bread.
- 1 cup snail butter, from Snail Butter
- 1 cup consomme
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove
- 48 canned snails
- 1 quart warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Reduce the consomme and wine to 1 Cup over high heat cooked with the bay leaf and garlic.
- Put the shells in a colander and pour the warm water over them and drain well.
- Place shells in a shallow casserole dish large enough to hold all shells in one layer.
- Put a dab of snail butter in each shell.
- Simmer the snails briefly in the hot reduced consomme-wine mixture.
- Place snail in each shell and cover with remaining snail butter.
- Pour wine-consomme mixture in the bottom of dish holding the shells.
- Place in the oven and cook for a few minutes, just long enough to get the snails piping hot.
- Serve hot with bread for dipping.