Recipe by Jim Cash
This was my grandmother's recipe. It was always a summer favorite when the tomatoes were fruiting.
- 2 lbs large ripe tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 3 slices stale bread, toasted and crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil (ground)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, melt butter; add tomatoes, cloves, salt, basil and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard cloves.
- Crumble bread, stir into tomatoes along with brown sugar and onion.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; pour in tomato mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes.