Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
These are lovely with garden fresh tomatoes! Cut this recipe out of a magazine years ago and never tried it until recently. It's a keeper in our home.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced (2 lbs.)
- 4 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 slices firm white bread, toasted and crusts trimmed
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- In saucepan melt butter or margarine.
- Add tomatoes, cloves, salt, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard cloves.
- Crumble bread; stir into tomatoes with brown sugar and onion.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Pour in tomatoes.
- Bake 45 minutes.