Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Similar to Eggplant Parmigiana, but a little lighter and less saucier, and is more suitable as a side dish.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs eggplants, sliced crosswise in 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On medium-size ovenproof platter, arrange eggplant slices, then tomato and onion slices. Drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle with salt and basil. Bake, covered, 20 minutes.
- Cut mozzarella slices in thirds; arrange over top. Stir crumbs into rest of melted butter; sprinkle over top; then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
This is so easy and great for an eggplant amateur! My teenage sons liked it, and said it was better than peas. A pretty dish as well.