Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Don't be deterred by sauerkraut, it is really good. A vegetarian lasagne of sorts. Served this to dear friends and they thought I should open a restaurant. Different.
- 1 (2 lb) can sauerkraut
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash clove
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 lb mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup finely-chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup almonds
- Place the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse well under cold tap water. Squeeze dry.
- Toss together the apple slices, flour and spices. Drizzle in the honey and mix well.
- Saute the onions in the butter until clear and soft (5- 8 mnutes). Add the dry mustard and the sauerkraut, and cook another few minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Take half the grated cheese, and combine it with the breadcrumbs and chopped nuts. Leave the other half of the grated cheese to stand alone.
- In your buttered deep-dish casserole, make the following pattern of layers: 1st a layer consisting of half the apple mixture, next, half the onion-sauerkraut mixture; 3rd the plain grated cheese, 4th the remaining apples, followed by the remaining/sauerkraut mix, and FINALLY, the nut-crumb-cheese topping!
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes and uncover and bake 20 minutes more.