Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups papayas, cut in strips
- 1 medium fish
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 head garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced into strips
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 hot pepper, cut in strips
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fat (for frying fish)
- Clean fish and sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand about 15 minutes and drain well.
- Fry in hot oil until brown and set aside.
- Saute garlic,ginger,onion and papaya until papaya is half cooked.
- Add salt and hot pepper and mixture of vinegar,water,sugar,soy sauce and flour.
- Cook until liquid thickens and the papaya becomes tender.
- Place fried fish on a platter and pour over it the gravy mixture.
- Garnish with sliced red-sweet pepper.
The sauce was delicious - made the fish taste so good. I left out the hot pepper this time, and it was still good. I'm not sure what the lard was for...I used margarine to saute the vegies...