Escabeche (Sweet and Sour Fish)
- Clean the fish and slit it open. Let it stand for few minutes and drain well.
- Sprinkle fish with 1 tbsp salt.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and fry the fish until brown. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the garlic until light brown, then sauté onion.
- Add salt and white pepper. Stir in ginger, scallions, carrot and red bell pepper.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, water and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the mixture boils, add flour to thicken. Then, add the fish.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.