1/1 Photo of Escabeche (Sweet and Sour Fish)
Filipino style escabeche. This is my old time favorite recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs red snapper, whole fish
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ginger, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup scallion, julienned (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon sifted flour
- 1Clean the fish and slit it open. Let it stand for few minutes and drain well.
- 2Sprinkle fish with 1 tbsp salt.
- 3In a medium skillet, heat the oil and fry the fish until brown. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- 4In the same skillet, sauté the garlic until light brown, then sauté onion.
- 5Add salt and white pepper. Stir in ginger, scallions, carrot and red bell pepper.
- 6Add soy sauce, vinegar, water and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 7When the mixture boils, add flour to thicken. Then, add the fish.
- 8Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Escabeche (Sweet and Sour Fish)
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.1
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 84.1 mg
- Sodium 2421.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 30.8 g
- Protein 50.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: