Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Filipino style escabeche. This is my old time favorite recipe.
Make and share this Escabeche (Sweet and Sour Fish) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -3 lbs red snapper, whole fish
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar or 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup ginger, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, julienned (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon sifted flour
- Clean the fish and slit it open. Let it stand for few minutes and drain well.
- Sprinkle fish with 1 tbsp salt.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and fry the fish until brown. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the garlic until light brown, then sauté onion.
- Add salt and white pepper. Stir in ginger, scallions, carrot and red bell pepper.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, water and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the mixture boils, add flour to thicken. Then, add the fish.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
this is a classic filipino fish escabeche recipe..... easy and yummy!
Delicious! Been looking for interesting new recipes and this one is perfect. My family enjoyed it as well!
Wow, this recipe is really good! I used tilapia fillets and covered them in cornstarch. I used Splenda instead of brown sugar. I did not have bell peppers. Even with these changes, the sauce was terrific. It was so good, I finished the fish and saved the sauce.
Thanks for posting the recipe and for those who rated it.