8 hrs 25 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Submitted for Zaar World Tour 2005. This salad is offered in place of the ubiquitous chips and salsa at Casa del Sol in the Mexcan border town of Juarez. It looks like a Mexican version of gardiniera to me! I reduced the olive oil by 1/2 cup. Can be stored in sealed container in refrigerator for one week. Chill time is included in cook time. From a special issue of Saveur, The Best of Tex-Mex Cooking. Have not made yet. I judgmentally put this in the kosher category too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 4 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 3 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced diagonally
- 1 lb jicama, peeled, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and onions and saute for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 2Reduce heat to medium and add carrots, peppercorns, thyme, oregano, marjoram and bay leaves. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- 3Add cauliflower, jalapenos, vinegar and 1 cup water. Stir well, cover, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 4Add zucchini and jicama. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Vegetables should remain crunchy. Do not overcook.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and discard bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Escabeche (Pickled Vegetables)
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 3.5 g