Another of my mother's favorite recipes. This is a great Panamanian recipe with lots of flavor that is easy to make! These amounts are approximate, so feel free to play around with amounts. I'd recommend 1 lb of tilapia for each person. As for the rice, my mom prefers minute white rice with this, but I prefer Jasmine. This goes wonderfully with Panamanian Tortillas (corn cake tortillas). This recipe can get smoky, so be sure there's plenty of ventilation!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop up onion, green pepper, garlic, and cilantro and set aside.
- 2Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper and spread on a plate. (omit cornmeal for faster cooking time).
- 3Cut up each tilapia filet into 3 or 4 strips.
- 4Coat tilapia with the flour mixture.
- 5In a large frying pan, add 2 or 3 tablespoons oil and then add the fish.
- 6Flip over the fish when golden until both sides are cooked, adding rest of oil as needed.
- 7Remove fish from pan and set aside.
- 8Add onion, green pepper, garlic, and cilantro mixture and stir fry them in the remaining oil until onion is translucent.
- 9Add the tomatoes and the fish, folding the sauce over the fish gently.
- 10Heat through at medium temperature and serve over white rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Escabeche De Pescado (Crunchy Tilapia in Tomato Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (577 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 887.5
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 227.0 mg
- Sodium 757.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 97.4 g