Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another of my mother's favorite recipes. This is a great Panamanian recipe with lots of flavor that is easy to make! These amounts are approximate, so feel free to play around with amounts. I'd recommend 1 lb of tilapia for each person. As for the rice, my mom prefers minute white rice with this, but I prefer Jasmine. This goes wonderfully with Panamanian Tortillas (corn cake tortillas). This recipe can get smoky, so be sure there's plenty of ventilation!
- Chop up onion, green pepper, garlic, and cilantro and set aside.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper and spread on a plate. (omit cornmeal for faster cooking time).
- Cut up each tilapia filet into 3 or 4 strips.
- Coat tilapia with the flour mixture.
- In a large frying pan, add 2 or 3 tablespoons oil and then add the fish.
- Flip over the fish when golden until both sides are cooked, adding rest of oil as needed.
- Remove fish from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic, and cilantro mixture and stir fry them in the remaining oil until onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and the fish, folding the sauce over the fish gently.
- Heat through at medium temperature and serve over white rice.