Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a bit of work...but is so delicious and perfect in the spring and summer. I like to make this for parties. It's always very popular. If you can't find pickled cauliflower use fresh florets that you have steamed. You also can substitute the pepperoncini, pickles, and cauliflower with 2 cups of the pre-pacakged giardiniera pickles available in italian grocery stores. This just gets better and better as it sits for a few days in the fridge.
- 2 lbs fish fillets (i like haddock or halibut for this)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, sliced (pickled)
- 3 sour dill pickles, sliced
- 1 cup pickled cauliflower, broken into florets
- Cut the fish into 2 inch pieces and dust with flour.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan and fry the pieces of fish until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain the grease thoroughly and put the fish in a large, non-reactive bowl.
- In a large skillet and medium sized non reactive saucepan heat the olive oil.
- Add the red onion, green onion, red pepper, carrot, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes on medium heat, or until the red onion is soft.
- Add the vinegar, tomato paste,water, and seasonings. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Put the pickled items over the fish in the bowl.
- Pour the finished vinegar and vegetable mixture over all and mix lightly. You may break the fish up a bit, but this will not ruin it.
- Cover and set to chill in refrigerator for at least 6 hours, and preferably over night.