Recipe by Tish
This is one of those healthy vegetarian dishes I used to live on in the '80's during my health and fitness stage. Too bad I didn't stick with it. Still this is a great recipe and I have enjoyed it many times with several variations (Note: I'm guessing on the serving size...don't have that written down anywhere)
Top Review by sugarpea
Great stuff! I loved it as is and Dh added hot sauce and rolled it up in a whole wheat tortilla. I tasted it before baking and preferred it baked. I'm thinking the process helped the flavors meld. I made half a recipe using the whole can of tomatoes and it filled a 2 quart casserole. Healthy and hearty as promised. Oh, and quite tasty.
- 1⁄2 lb dry lentils
- 1⁄4 lb dry barley
- 1⁄4 lb brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons brewer's yeast
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 can stewing tomatoes, small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils thoroughly.
- Add lentils, barley, rice and salt to large pan and cover with plenty of water.
- Cook on low heat until done.
- Cancrockpot for several hours.
- When done, add 4 Tbs yeast, soy sauce, tomatoes, onion powder.
- Pottageshould be moist.
- May bake in 9 X 12 dish.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes at 350F or may be eaten as is.
- Note:High protein when served with 100% whole wheat bread and served with a fruit dish.