Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of those healthy vegetarian dishes I used to live on in the '80's during my health and fitness stage. Too bad I didn't stick with it. Still this is a great recipe and I have enjoyed it many times with several variations (Note: I'm guessing on the serving size...don't have that written down anywhere)
- Wash lentils thoroughly.
- Add lentils, barley, rice and salt to large pan and cover with plenty of water.
- Cook on low heat until done.
- Cancrockpot for several hours.
- When done, add 4 Tbs yeast, soy sauce, tomatoes, onion powder.
- Pottageshould be moist.
- May bake in 9 X 12 dish.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes at 350F or may be eaten as is.
- Note:High protein when served with 100% whole wheat bread and served with a fruit dish.
Great stuff! I loved it as is and Dh added hot sauce and rolled it up in a whole wheat tortilla. I tasted it before baking and preferred it baked. I'm thinking the process helped the flavors meld. I made half a recipe using the whole can of tomatoes and it filled a 2 quart casserole. Healthy and hearty as promised. Oh, and quite tasty.
I made the crockpot version of this and it is one of those great comfort recipes. Good stodgy comfort food especially good for winter weather. I didn't bother baking it. Thanks Tish!
Humble, healthful, filling, and 15 minutes in the pressure cooker! This is going to be just right for my annual modified fast, and when the fast is over, it'll be a good filling for burritos.