Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My husband is an avid duck hunter and this is his recipe for duck gumbo. It's the best I've ever had!
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 3 quarts boiling water
- Tabasco sauce
- red pepper
- 2 large duck breasts, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion top
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat 1/2 cup of the oil over medium heat in a large heavy pot.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly until dark brown.
- Add the onion and green onion and cook until tender.
- Add the boiling water and season with Tabasco, salt& red pepper.
- Season the duck with salt& red pepper.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet& brown the duck pieces.
- Transfer the duck to the gumbo.
- Simmer, uncovered on low 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Add the sausage slices, green onion tops and parsley.
- Cook 30 minutes longer.
- Serve over hot rice.
My husband also hunts duck, but we didn't love this. It was a little bit salty for us. I also know now (after talking to a friend) that the roux is supposed to be very dark...I stopped at dark khaki, she says it should have been mahogany. I might try with a different sausage next time to lower the sodium.
My hubby made this last night and it was really good. It was a little spicy, but still very tasty.