Recipe by Melissa Spangler
My husband is an avid duck hunter and this is his recipe for duck gumbo. It's the best I've ever had!
Top Review by haskinsfam
My husband also hunts duck, but we didn't love this. It was a little bit salty for us. I also know now (after talking to a friend) that the roux is supposed to be very dark...I stopped at dark khaki, she says it should have been mahogany. I might try with a different sausage next time to lower the sodium.
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 3 quarts boiling water
- Tabasco sauce
- red pepper
- 2 large duck breasts, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion top
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/2 cup of the oil over medium heat in a large heavy pot.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly until dark brown.
- Add the onion and green onion and cook until tender.
- Add the boiling water and season with Tabasco, salt& red pepper.
- Season the duck with salt& red pepper.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet& brown the duck pieces.
- Transfer the duck to the gumbo.
- Simmer, uncovered on low 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Add the sausage slices, green onion tops and parsley.
- Cook 30 minutes longer.
- Serve over hot rice.