2 hrs 30 mins
My dad was a wonderful cook. His French Canadian background was apparent in everything he cooked. This recipe is wonderful and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. The gravy is exceptional!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 lb ground round
- 1/4 lb ground veal
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1Meat Ball Directions.
- 2Saute onion and garlic in the 1 Tbls butter for 5 minutes until soft.
- 3In a large bowl soak breadcrumbs in buttermilk for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the meats, onion and garlic, salt and pepper, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and then the beaten eggs.
- 5Combine mixture thoroughly.
- 6Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- 7Wet palms and form one inch meat balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerqte for another hour.
- 9In a heavy skilled melt remaining 2 Tbls butter and bacon fat.
- 10Add meat balls (do not crowd) and shake to coat them.
- 11Cook about 3 minutes then lower heat and brown for 5 minutes.
- 12Repeat as necessary until all meatballs are done. Add more butter if necessary.
- 13Gravy Directions.
- 14Melt butter in heavy skillet.
- 15Remove from heat and blend in flour. Gradually add beef broth and sherry stirring constantly with wire wisk. When well blended return to moderate heat and whisk constantly until mixture thickens.
- 16Take off the heat,blend in remaining ingredients.
- 17Return to heat and simmer stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- 18Pour the gravy over the precooked meatballs. Cover and smimmer for 5 minutes.
- 19Serve over noodles.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ernie's Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.1
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 27.3 g
- Cholesterol 274.4 mg
- Sodium 2176.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 35.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: