1/2 Photos of Ernie's Fudge Pie
This is the ultimate family favorite desert. It is my Aunt Norma's specialty and I remember getting so excited to go to her house for Thanksgiving or Christmas and feast on this pie. I added the melted white chocolate and dark chocolate drizzle to "fancy" up the looks of an otherwise unattractive pie. But once you taste it, you won't care what it looks like. The baking is a little fussy in that the time varies with your oven and knowing when to take it out is tricky. If you bake it too long the filling will cool and harden, if you don't bake it long enough the filling will be soupy. Its done when the top looks dry and the outer portion is set while the center still shakes a little bit like custard. NOTE: The filling is actually a tad underbaked in my photo, the optimal texture is a little more dry, I should have baked it for a few more minutes but nevertheless it tastes MARVELOUS either way!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 uncooked 9-inch pie shell
- 118.29 ml butter
- 85.04 g unsweetened chocolate (the higher quality of chocolate you have the better the pie!)
- 3 eggs
- 44.37 ml light corn syrup or 44.37 ml white corn syrup
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
For White and Dark Chocolate drizzle
- 28.34 g white baking bar
- 56.69-85.04 g semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/4 - 1/3 cup)
- 1Melt butter and chocolate together on low heat or in double boiler.
- 2Meanwhile, put eggs in mixing bowl and beat until light and pale in color.
- 3Beat remaining ingredients into eggs, than add slightly cooled chocolate mixture.
- 4Mix thoroughly and pour into pie shell.
- 5Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until top appears dry and filling is set but still somewhat soft inside.
- 6Do not over bake; pie should shake like custard so it will not be too stiff when cool. It really shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes.
- 7For white chocolate drizzle, place baking square in small resealable plastic bag; seal bag.
- 8Heat in microwave oven at MEDIUM (50% power) 1 minute.
- 9Turn bag over; heat at MEDIUM 1 to 2 minutes or until melted. (Depending on the chocolate you use, sometimes you may need to add a little shortening for a smoother glaze.).
- 10Knead bag until white chocolate is smooth.
- 11Cut off very tiny corner of bag; pipe or drizzle white chocolate onto pie.
- 12For chocolate drizzle, place chocolate chips in small resealable plastic bag; seal bag.
- 13Heat in microwave oven at HIGH 1 minute.
- 14Turn bag over; heat at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted.
- 15Knead bag until chocolate is smooth.
- 16Cut off tiny corner of bag; pipe or drizzle chocolate onto pie.
- 17Let pie stand until chocolate drizzles are set.
- 18Serve at room temperature or slightly warm without the drizzle.
- 19This is great served plain, or with a topping of vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ernie's Fudge Pie
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.1
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 314.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 45.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g