Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the ultimate family favorite desert. It is my Aunt Norma's specialty and I remember getting so excited to go to her house for Thanksgiving or Christmas and feast on this pie. I added the melted white chocolate and dark chocolate drizzle to "fancy" up the looks of an otherwise unattractive pie. But once you taste it, you won't care what it looks like. The baking is a little fussy in that the time varies with your oven and knowing when to take it out is tricky. If you bake it too long the filling will cool and harden, if you don't bake it long enough the filling will be soupy. Its done when the top looks dry and the outer portion is set while the center still shakes a little bit like custard. NOTE: The filling is actually a tad underbaked in my photo, the optimal texture is a little more dry, I should have baked it for a few more minutes but nevertheless it tastes MARVELOUS either way!
- 1 uncooked 9-inch pie shell
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (the higher quality of chocolate you have the better the pie!)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup or 3 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For White and Dark Chocolate drizzle
- 1 ounce white baking bar
- 2 -3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/4 - 1/3 cup)
- Melt butter and chocolate together on low heat or in double boiler.
- Meanwhile, put eggs in mixing bowl and beat until light and pale in color.
- Beat remaining ingredients into eggs, than add slightly cooled chocolate mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until top appears dry and filling is set but still somewhat soft inside.
- Do not over bake; pie should shake like custard so it will not be too stiff when cool. It really shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes.
- For white chocolate drizzle, place baking square in small resealable plastic bag; seal bag.
- Heat in microwave oven at MEDIUM (50% power) 1 minute.
- Turn bag over; heat at MEDIUM 1 to 2 minutes or until melted. (Depending on the chocolate you use, sometimes you may need to add a little shortening for a smoother glaze.).
- Knead bag until white chocolate is smooth.
- Cut off very tiny corner of bag; pipe or drizzle white chocolate onto pie.
- For chocolate drizzle, place chocolate chips in small resealable plastic bag; seal bag.
- Heat in microwave oven at HIGH 1 minute.
- Turn bag over; heat at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted.
- Knead bag until chocolate is smooth.
- Cut off tiny corner of bag; pipe or drizzle chocolate onto pie.
- Let pie stand until chocolate drizzles are set.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm without the drizzle.
- This is great served plain, or with a topping of vanilla ice cream.
This pie is AMAZING! It is my new holy grail chocolate pie recipe. I made it with Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate and I can't imagine how much better it would be with higher quality chocolate. The pie reminds me of a molten chocolate cake but in a pie. Decadent and oh so delicious. I cook mine until it cracks on top that way I know it is set well and the center still is ever so slightly soft and gooey. I didn't even add the drizzle on top. I will make this pie again and again. My husband is hard to please when it comes to desserts and this dessert even made him come back for seconds, thirds, fourths...lol. Thanks Ernie!
I made these as tarts and the recipe adapted beautifully! The filling was so smooth and stood out even with so much crust with the tart. I did use a high quality chocolate as recommended. This has replaced my favorite fudge pie recipe that I used for years.
Wow! If your looking for an easy, decadent pie, this ones for you. I had to bake mine for almost 40 minutes until the center had set up but we just cut it up and it was amazing, Had the folks over to dessert and they wanted to know when we were making it again. Thanks!!