Recipe by MarraMamba
From Ernestos Mexican Food in Sacramento, a great citrusy carnitas recipe. Especially good because it's a "put it in the pot and leave it" recipe.
- 1 (2 lb) pork shoulder (remove fat and cut into 6-inch cubes)
- 1 orange
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 10 1⁄2 ounces canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 ounce salt
- bay leaf
- 1 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil to medium temperature. Place all ingredients in oil except sugar. Cook on medium temperature for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Take sugar and caramelize in small pan over medium heat almost to burn.
- Turn meat mixture heat to high and add caramelized sugar, stir and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Drain meat thoroughly.
- Serve with pico de gallo salsa, fresh homemade tortillas, frijoles and margaritas.
- Source: Luis Sanchez, Ernesto's Mexican Food, Sacramento, California.