When our first daughter was born, a friend brought us a pail of these delicious muffins. It was such a thoughful gesture and perfect to snack on during that first couple days at home. Whenever I make these now I can still "taste" those first new days of motherhood. Thank you Erna!
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (or use 1 tsp vinegar in 1 cup milk)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups diced apples
- Topping-mix all together, until mixture forms crumbs.
- Batter- Whisk together egg, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla.
- Stir in sugar.
- Without mixing, add flour, baking soda, salt and apples.
- Stir just until combined.
- Do not over mix.
- Spoon into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
These are terrific muffins! They're moist, tasty and smell wonderful while baking. I made them exactly as the recipe states. Thanks so much Pamela for a recipe that I'll be making on a regular basis!
I accidentally forgot to put the sugar in the muffin mixture, and they were a little bit floury but still delicious. Can't wait to try them again--the right way. Someone who doesn't like them so sweet could try leaving out some or all of the sugar, but omit 1/4-1/2 cup of the flour if you do.
There were excellent! I doubled the recipe and got 36 muffins (i put 1/4 cup of batter into each tin). The 20 minute baking time was perfect for my oven. I took them to a breakfast meeting at work and everyone loved them. Thanks, Pam, for posting a great recipe. Sue