1/1 Photo of Eritrean / Ethiopian Beef Stew -- Tsebhi Sga or Key Wet
1 hr 30 mins
I grew up in Asmara, Eritrea eating and making this dish regulary. This dish is one of the most popular dishes in the Eritrean and Ethiopian community.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop onions into small fine pieces.
- 2Heat a shallow deep pan, about 3 to 4 inches deep.
- 3Add half of the spiced butter.
- 4Once butter is melted add the chopped onions and cook it until the onion is caramelized.
- 5Be sure not to burn the onions, keep stirring!
- 6Add the chili paste to the cooked onions.
- 7Mix it well by adding a drop of water at a time as needed.
- 8Cook for about 15 minutes by adding a drop of water as you stir to stop it from drying.
- 9Add tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more stirring it often and adding a drop of water as needed to prevent it from drying out.
- 10Cut beef into small bite sizes, about ½ inch cubes.
- 11Add beef to the cooking paste and cook covered for about 20 minutes or until it is cooked fully.
- 12Add the remainder of the spiced butter and mix well.
- 13Let cook of about 5 more minutes.
- 14Depending on your personal desire, you may add more water to bring it to the consistency you like.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eritrean / Ethiopian Beef Stew -- Tsebhi Sga or Key Wet
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.8
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 96.4 mg
- Sodium 218.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: