I grew up in Asmara, Eritrea eating and making this dish regulary. This dish is one of the most popular dishes in the Eritrean and Ethiopian community.
- Chop onions into small fine pieces.
- Heat a shallow deep pan, about 3 to 4 inches deep.
- Add half of the spiced butter.
- Once butter is melted add the chopped onions and cook it until the onion is caramelized.
- Be sure not to burn the onions, keep stirring!
- Add the chili paste to the cooked onions.
- Mix it well by adding a drop of water at a time as needed.
- Cook for about 15 minutes by adding a drop of water as you stir to stop it from drying.
- Add tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more stirring it often and adding a drop of water as needed to prevent it from drying out.
- Cut beef into small bite sizes, about ½ inch cubes.
- Add beef to the cooking paste and cook covered for about 20 minutes or until it is cooked fully.
- Add the remainder of the spiced butter and mix well.
- Let cook of about 5 more minutes.
- Depending on your personal desire, you may add more water to bring it to the consistency you like.