Recipe by tamarinda
A traditional dish from Kerala, India. It makes a nice autumn dish for extra holiday pumpkin.
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin, juliened
- 1⁄2 cup black-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 shallots
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the black-eyed peas with salt and water in a pressure cooker, until just cooked and beans are still very firm.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut into a coarse paste.
- Add pumpkin slices and coconut paste to beans. Simmer until tender.
- Mash. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a small pan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds have popped, add the dry red chilis and curry leaves.
- Garnish pumpkin dish with spices.
- Serve with rice.