Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Nice on a cold night.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup pre-cooked ham, diced
- 5 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Melt the butter over medium-low in a large deep pan.
- Add chopped onions and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add the flour and stir until the flour becomes frothy.
- Add the half and half and milk 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring in between.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Add ham, stir.
- Add potatoes and stir to coat.
- Pour into a buttered baking dish and put into the oven at 400F for 45 minutes, covered.
- Uncover after 45 minutes and continue baking at 400F for 20 minutes.
This was excellent!! I didn't have any half & half, so I just used milk...it still turned out great.
My husband loved it,just thought it should have had twice the amount of ham.
Awesome!!! I've been looking for a great scalloped potato recipe and this is definitely it! Didn't have all the half and half so used 2% milk and it turned out great. This is a versatile recipe that could even be made without the ham or for a change add in some chopped broccoli. Definitely one of my new favorite recipes. Thanks for posting it!