- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup pre-cooked ham, diced
- 5 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- shredded cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter over medium-low in a large deep pan.
- Add chopped onions and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add the flour and stir until the flour becomes frothy.
- Add the half and half and milk 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring in between.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Add ham, stir.
- Add potatoes and stir to coat.
- Pour into a buttered baking dish and put into the oven at 400F for 45 minutes, covered.
- Uncover after 45 minutes and continue baking at 400F for 20 minutes.