Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love this lasagna and it's really very easy. We usually end up freezing half of it in single-serving sizes that are easy to take to work for lunches!
- 1 (9 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 yellow squash, sliced thinly
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, I use one with mushrooms
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese, I use frigo brand
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage on medium heat, drain.
- Add sauce.
- Sauté zucchini and yellow squash in a little butter with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, egg, basil and oregano.
- In a 13x9-inch pan, spread about 3/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom.
- Top with 3 noodles, they will expand when cooked.
- Spread about 2/3 cup of ricotta over noodles.
- Sprinkle some of the veggies on this, top with about 3/4 cup of the sauce, top that with 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat this 3 times.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil, bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, bake for 10-15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes when removed from the oven.
A wonderful, classic lasagna. So simple to prepare and tastes excellent. I absolutely adore the addition of the zucchini in this. I didn't use the yellow squash, though - the market didn't have any decent enough. Next time I try this, I'll use homemade sauce, but even with jarred, it tasted wonderful! Took your advice and froze the leftovers in single servings for much anticipated lunches during the week! Thanks.
I really liked this, but changed a lot of it to use what I had on hand. I used summer squash, sliced potatoes instead of pasta, beef scraps and a can of pinto beans instead of sausage, and my Italian seasoning rather than the herbs. Really good, the flavors blended well.