Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My brother made these for us and he gave up the recipe. A little messy but very tasty.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed eggplants
- 2 cups sliced red onions
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup julienned green bell pepper
- 1 cup julienned yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf unsliced Italian bread (l lb.)
- lettuce leaf
- 1⁄2 lb sliced cooked ham
- 1⁄2 lb sliced cooked turkey breast
- 1⁄4 lb sliced hard salami
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big skillet, saute the first 6 ingredients in olive oil for 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste; stir to mix.
- Take skillet off of heat and set aside.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out the bottom leaving a 1/2 inch shell; discard bread crumbs.
- Layer starting with lettuce, ham, turkey, salami, and cheese.
- Top with sauteed veggie mixture.
- Replace bread top.
- This makes a very full sandwich; secure with toothpicks and cut into slices.
- Have lots of napkins ready.