3 hrs 40 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Pronounced E-ru-le-vesh. After trying this you may never again get away with opening a can of condensed broth and pretending it's the real thing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb soup meat (such as beef short ribs or rack of lamb)
- 1 -2 lb soup bones, in 3 " pieces (marrow bones)
- cold water
- 2 cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 cabbage, quartered
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips or 2 turnips
- 2 small kohlrabi
- 1 -2 leek
- 2 half stalks celery (leafy halves)
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fine egg noodles (uncooked)
- 1Wash the meat and bones, and thoroughly clean the vegetables.
- 2Put the meat and bones in a large pot, cover them with cold water and slowly bring to a simmer over low heat, uncovered (removing the scum as it forms) (Do NOT allow to boil, it will break up the scum and fat changing the taste and appearence of the broth); continue simmering and skimming for about an hour.
- 3Stick the cloves into the onion, and add it and all other remaining ingredients to the soup except for the noodles.
- 4Cover partially and let simmer at least until meat is tender (1-2 hours or more).
- 5Strain the broth into a large bowl, and set aside to cool.
- 6Remove the marrow from the bones.
- 7Mash and lightly salt it, and serve it on rye bread or white toast (it might sound a little odd, but it's a traditional delicacy).
- 8Discard the bones, onion and cloves, celery, parsley, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, and any loose bones or fat from the meat.
- 9Cut up the remaining vegetables and meat.
- 10Degrease the broth and taste for seasoning (it may need a lot more salt).
- 11Return the broth to a simmer and drop in the noodles.
- 12Let cook for 10 minutes, then add the meat and vegetables and let simmer until the noodles are done.
- 13Serve hot.
Nutritional Facts for Erõleves (hungarian Consommé)
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 1220.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: