Recipe by mollypaul
Just lovely served hot or cold, this dessert comes from the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 7 ounces zwieback cookies, crushed
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 apples, pared and sliced (Use a good flavored apple for this old favorite such as Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Cortland)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat butter in a skillet until it turns a deep brown, but not burned.
- Mix crumbs and sugar; add browned butter.
- Place a layer of apples in prepared casserole followed by a layer of crumbs; repeat until casserole is filled, retaining enough crumbs to cover the top.
- Mixture should be 3-4" deep.
- Bake for 90 minutes.