Recipe by Debber
Special cookies to celebrate the wisemen visiting the infant Christ. We save these cookies until AFTER Christmas. Hidden inside each mound of dough is a sweet surprise. Make or decorate them with three different shapes or sprinkle colors to signify Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) bag candy bars, bite size (Dove, Reeses, Andes Mints, Milky Way, OR Snickers)
Decorative Topping Choices
- buttercream frosting
- 2 1⁄4 ounces yellow sugar (gold)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces blue sugar (frankincense)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces red sugar (myrrh)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine butters and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one-at-a-time and blend well, then add vanilla.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, add to butter-egg mixture, mixing well to blend.
- Cover dough; chill for 2-3 hours.
- Unwrap chocolates (hide them from the kids and practice restraint in snitching!).
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease two cookie sheets.
- Divide dough into 1 tablespoon pieces, roll into a ball and flatten in hand.
- Place one piece of chocolate candy in center, pull cookie dough up and around, forming a ball shape.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Divide cooled cookies into three equal sets. Using a cake decorator "writing" tip OR a zipper bag with the corner cut off, filled with butter cream frosting, decorate the tops of the sets as follows:.
- Set 1 over each cookie: spiral around the top; immediately sprinkle with one of the colored sugars.
- Set 2 over each cookie: make a stylized flower shape (like a daisy or a posy); sprinkle with one of the other colors.
- Set 3: make a criss-cross woven shape; sprinkle with remaining colored sugar.
- Set cookies aside in a single layer to dry.
- Store in covered container with waxed paper between layers.
- SERVING: Include some of each color and remember the wonderful gifts of love presented to Jesus by the magi from the East. And what gift have YOU given to the Lord?.
- BRILLIANT IDEA: Place the Reeses right side up for one shape and upside down for another. DOVE bars are simply the B-E-S-T and shouldn't be squandered on wishy-washy chocolate lovers.