1/1 Photo of Epiphany Cake
The finder of the baked in token is said to gain good fortune in the coming year. The Zaar puter won't accept "small china token" as an ingredient but be sure to bake one in. My gramma used a new decorated thimble. My grandmother was the one who made this cake and I copied it from an old hand written card. There was no flour or liquid mentioned in the ingredients list but flour was listed in the directions. I have added the 2 cups of flour (See update below) as it seems about right to me but add it slowly and stop when you think it's think it's right or add more if needed. If it's very thick you might want to add enough milk to make a good batter consistency. My apologies for the vagueness here. I know that it was a delicious cake though! *UPDATE* I have edited the flour amount as reccomended by Color Guard Mom. Start with 1 1/2 cups and add as/if needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour (add more as or if needed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 2Add the sour cream and beat, then extracts.
- 3Lightly fold in the sifted flour mixed with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4Spoon the batter into the well-buttered round cake tin, 20 cm (8 inches) across and 8 cm (3 inch) deep.
- 5You can also line it with buttered-paper if you like.
- 6Make sure you add the token.
- 7Bake the cake at 170 Celsius/ 325 farenheit for 35 minutes or till tester comes out clean.
- 8Don't open the door, be patient.
- 9Cool the cake in the tin for 10 mins and then turn it out on to a rack to cool properly.
- 10Ice the top and sides of the cake after mixing all the ingredients for the icing to a spreading paste.
- 11Decorate with a ring of crushed nuts and an inner circle of chocolate sprinkles. Maybe add a sugar mouse in the center, or garden flowers on the plate, and a ribbon.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Epiphany Cake
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.5
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.1 mg
- Sodium 402.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 54.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g