Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
SOOO easy. A fix-and-forget oven entree. A very old recipe. If you throw a few baking potatoes in the oven toward the last hour of cooking time, you'll just need to add a salad or quick veggie for a complete meal. The consomme works better than broth in this instance, makes a very smooth rich-tasting sauce. Recipe circa 1955!
- 907.18 g stew beef
- 236.59 ml red wine, burgundy
- 283.49 g can consomme
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 118.29 ml bread, crumbs fine, dry
- 118.29 ml flour
- Combine first 6 ingredients in casserole.
- Mix crumbs and flour and stir into meat.
- Cover and bake in slow oven, 300, about 3 hours or until tender.
This is, quite simply, fantastic. Really good, ridiculously easy, and your house smells wonderful all afternoon while it cooks. And it uses a cheap cut of meat. What more could you ask for? If you haven't tried this one, do yourself a favor an fix it soon.