Recipe by TasteTester
When we ate at the Le Cellier restaurant in the Canadian pavilion at Epcot, we ordered this soup and it was fantastic! I looked at many websites and finally found the recipe for it on a site that has many of Disney's authentic recipes. I made it and it tastes exactly like the soup we had at Walt Disney World -- terrific!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup beer, regular or non-alcoholic
- 3⁄4 lb good quality white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, start to brown the bacon over medium heat. When the bacon is starting to get crisp, add the onions, celery and butter. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the flour and incorporate with the butter. Cook for 4 minutes, constantly stirring. Add the water and whisk. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.
- After the last 15 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and then the beer, stirring gently until the cheese is melted. Take off the heat, add tabasco sauce and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives or finely chopped green onions, if desired.
- (If the soup is too thick, you can thin it out with some milk.).