Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This traditional recipe is from the restaurant in the Hotel Le Grand, Strasbourg, France. Recipe time does not include 5 hours chill time.
- 2 lbs firm and ripe apricots, washed and dried, cut in half and pits removed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup kirsch
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Arrange the apricots, cut sides up, in a single layer in a baking dish. Add the water and sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar over the apricots. (I use a fine sieve for this, it just works better for me.)
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. There should be no liquid left in the dish. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remainder of powdered sugar.
- Carefully pour the Kirsch into the pan, without getting the tops of the apricots wet. Place under the broiler and broil for 10 minutes or until the tops are caramelized.
- Chill the apricots for at least 5 hours before serving. Divide them among 6 small bowls and serve.