Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
This flavourful Bourguignon sauce is positively ambrosial, and adds a touch of elegance to steak, daring you to resist dipping your french bread. I "halved" the recipe for two, served it last evening, and the question posed was "Can we have this again tomorrow?" The telling is in the sauce. Any red meat prepared a'Bourguignon is delicious - especially game; venison, moose, elk, rabbit, etc. Even lamb takes on a whole new flavour. Serve a robust Merlot with "anything" Bourguignon. Accompaniments could include boiled new potatoes and green beans. Your taste buds will thank you, and your family keep and love you forever.
Top Review by CountryLady
Quick & easy & absolutely delicious! Since I was cooking a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, I scaled the recipe for 2 people - no problems encountered. I substituted French shallots for the onions and served the steak alongside garlic mashed potatoes & steamed broccoli. Thanx Toolie! Added to my original review of 2004 ....... Another successful valentine's dinner! Different veggies, I doubled the sauce & took photos this time!
- 4 (12 ounce) sirloin steaks, about x
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced (your choice)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 ounce vegetable oil
- 4 ounces dry red wine
- 1 ounce cornstarch
- 2 ounces beef stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the steaks slightly and season with the freshly ground black pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry the steaks.
- When cooked according to taste, transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Drain off most of the excess oil from the pan.
- Mix chopped onion and garlic together and saute for 2- 3 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Add mushrooms and red wine; bring to a boil and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Mix the cornstarch with the cold beef stock and add to the pan, together with the chopped spring onion.
- Stir for a further minute, or until sauce just begins to bubble.
- Spoon over the steaks, sprinkle chopped parsley on plates and serve immediately.