Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
This recipe is from the kitchen of the winery, Herdade do Esporão, located in Reguengos de Monsaraz, Alentejo, Portugal.
- Place ribs in a roasting pan and rub with pepper paste, coating completely. Cover with plastic wrap; chill overnight.
- Let ribs come to room temperature. Uncover pan and season ribs with black pepper. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake until ribs are tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and increase oven to 425 degrees F. Transfer ribs to a baking sheet. Scrape red pepper paste from ribs and transfer to a bowl.
- Pour half the drippings from pan over paste and whisk until smooth. Add potatoes to roasting pan. Toss with remaining drippings and season with black pepper. Place ribs over potatoes. Brush paste mixture over ribs.
- Return to oven. Bake, uncovered, until ribs and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour more. Remove pan and heat oven broiler.
- Broil until ribs are slightly charred, 3–4 minutes. Transfer ribs to a cutting board. Let rest until cool enough to handle, then slice into individual ribs. Transfer potatoes to a large serving platter and place ribs over top.