Recipe by Scarlett516
This is a delicious recipe I found on a blog. Traditionally, the meat is beef or pork, but this recipe uses chicken. Tomatillos look like green tomatoes, but with a husk on the outside. They range from the size of a cherry tomato to the size of a clementine. You want to buy tomatillos that are firm to the touch, bright green, with the husk still close to the tomatillo. Prep time is inactive.
Top Review by DenniseAlejandra
This recipe A
The chicken came out nice and juicy, not dry at all. Was tangy from the lemon, but flavored from the onions and garlic. I used canned tomatillos about 5-6 of them, chopped them up and left them simmer with the chicken and chipotle. Really enjoyed this recipe. Sides were red (mexican) rice and green beans. DELISH
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb tomatillo, dehusked and chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers (or more if you want more heat!)
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken thighs on both sides with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Marinate in fridge for about 2 hours.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion.
- Add chicken, skin side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until light brown. Turn over and cook 4-5 more minutes.
- If you must, drain the juice, but I highly recommend you don't so you keep the flavor. Add the tomatillos, peppers, and oregano. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired, and serve.