Recipe by Mirj
I have divine childhood memories of Entenmann's pound cake, which my mother rarely buy since she would usually bake her own. I found this recipe on a copycat site, and never ever thought of using powdered sugar before.
Top Review by Evie*
This is simply scrummy, enjoyed by 8 women from work as our 'coffee' course to a pot luck dinner. The icing sugar was a surprise ingredient but gave the edges a tasty crispness. Thanks Mirj!
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract or 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-1/2 inch Pyrex loaf dish with Pam.
- Cream the butter with the powdered sugar on high speed of mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 egg and then a little flour, beating 2 minutes.
- Add 2nd egg and half of remaining flour and beat 2 minutes.
- Add 3rd egg, the rest of the flour and the extract, beating 2 minutes.
- Spread thick and creamy batter evenly in prepared loaf dish.
- Bake 65 minutes or until tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the baking dish on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the dish.
- Slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- If you are going to be freezing the cake, be sure to slice before freezing the loaf.
- Thaw to use within 6 months.