Recipe by Galician Woman
This recipe has been in my family forever who originated in the West Coast of Spain. It is a summer favorite at our summer BBQs. I always make this year round and think it's good all year round. It is also very tasting without the olives for those of you who do not like olives. I do agree that the preparation time is long but worth it.
Top Review by jeeremie
Really nice recipe, however, I live in Canary Islands (Spain) for three years and the recipe is slightly different here. I added about 8 to 10 tbsp mayonnaise to match the original recipe and they do not add green peas here. Also, they don't call it "Ensalada Rusa" but "Ensaladilla Rusa" though it doesn't really matter how they call it.
- 6 -8 idaho potatoes, peeled
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olive
- 1 cup of cooked green sweet peas
- 1 slice pimentos (optional)
- 2 cans tuna in olive oil, drained (the best one to use is the one imported from spain)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Boil the potatoes and eggs in the same pot if you want or in separate pots. The potatoes will be done once you stick a fork in them and they break apart easily. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Boil the green sweet peas in a pot. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, while the potatoes are cooking, slice the olives in four pieces.(in half and then in half again.) set aside.
- Peel the shell off of the eggs as soon as they are done cooking. (caution they will be hot) I find that it is easier to remove the egg shell under cold running water. Put one egg aside and Cut the remaining eggs into very small pieces.
- Check to see if potatoes are cool enough. If they are you will need a mixing bowl. Put the potatoes in the bowl and mash them with masher (do not use a mixer) Mash the potatoes until there are a few lumps.
- Add the tuna, eggs, peas, and olives. Mix all these ingredients thoroughly together using an"Under and Over" motion so all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add the mayonnaise a little at a time. I usually only need to use 2 tbsp of it. Mix in the mayonnaise until blended together. You don't want too much mayonnaise in this salad.
- Once all ingredients have been mixed transfer mix to a serving salad dish of your choice.
- You can decorate the top of the salad with the 1 egg you set aside earlier cut into four length wise pieces and the 1 slice of pimento sliced into 4 thin pieces.( this is optional)
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight and serve at your favorite BBQ gathering.