Recipe by Lainey39
Be sure to suit your own tastes with the dressing using more or less mayonnaise, pickle juice, salt and pepper. I got this Venezuelan recipe from All Recipes.com to use for ZWT 2011.
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 dill pickles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked beets, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the potatoes and carrots into a large pot and fill with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender enough to pierce with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion; cook and stir until tender and light brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, chicken, eggs and pickles. In a separate bowl, whisk together the onion, pickle juice and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the potato mixture and stir gently to coat.
- Adjust the amounts of mayonnaise, salt and pepper if desired.
- Gently stir in beets last.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend flavors before serving.