Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Be sure to suit your own tastes with the dressing using more or less mayonnaise, pickle juice, salt and pepper. I got this Venezuelan recipe from All Recipes.com to use for ZWT 2011.
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 dill pickles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked beets, diced
- Place the potatoes and carrots into a large pot and fill with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender enough to pierce with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion; cook and stir until tender and light brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, chicken, eggs and pickles. In a separate bowl, whisk together the onion, pickle juice and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the potato mixture and stir gently to coat.
- Adjust the amounts of mayonnaise, salt and pepper if desired.
- Gently stir in beets last.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend flavors before serving.