Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe from Costa Rica Guide, this is delicious! I love heart of palm.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans hearts of palm
- lettuce leaf
- 1 lime, juice of, fresh
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large vine ripened tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 red bell peppers, chopped (optional) or 1 yellow bell pepper (optional)
- mayonnaise (posted separately) (optional)
- Cut the heart of palm into small bite sized pieces and place on lettuce lined plates. Squeeze lime juice over the hearts of palm. Add a tiny dash of salt and fresh pepper.
- The optional ingredients can be added together or individually. Mayonnaise can be substituted for the lime, salt, and pepper as is common in restaurants.
I have a cold and I would rate it a 4 with "off" taste buds, but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and bump it to a 5. I made mine with tomato and yellow pepper. I did add some fresh orange juice which was wonderful. THANKS for the recipenap, Veggie Swap Jan 2010.
Made this salad exactly like the recipe. My DH and Ifound it delicious and it reminded us of our trip to Costa Rica last spring. Thank you for a yummy recipe!
Very fast and easy salad that is may be a new taste sensation for some. I have had hearts of palm before and love them. Costa Rican food is amazing! This was fresh and delicious and you just cannot beat the nutritional facts here. Low in fat and good carb/protein ratio. The sodium content would be greatly reduced if the canned hearts of palm are rinsed well since they are canned in salt water. I added tomato here but not bell pepper which would be a great addition adding crunch and color. Served this on some romaine hearts for a fantastic salad. I never imagined that I would like such a simple salad dressing as this. Just some fresh lime juice- definitely use fresh here! and a little salt and fresh ground black pepper. This just goes to show you that simplicity can be very tasty and healthy too! Thanks Sharon!